Monday, January 18, 2016

where will I go from here?

After going back and studying Mark Rothko, who (although he is considered to be part of the abstract expressionism movement) really didn't identify with any movement at all, I've been thinking about my own work. Like Rothko, I like to experiment with more literal ideas as well as conveying certain ideas in abstract ways. I am excited about being able to incorporate both aspects of this by showing the literal side of my ideas yet leaving some imagination and depth to be read into the piece by the audience. 

I have been thinking about some things that our art teacher suggested. 


Why do I want to create? 

What compels me? 

Is it the society in which we live? 

What questions do I have about this culture? 


I very much want to incoroporate and work with different people in my next few projects. I like hearing other peoples' perspectives about the culture that we live in and what has affected them the most in their lives. I would like to work with this topic more and use other people's lives in my pieces. 

Many people have told me that several of my pieces have really appealed to them because of the subject matter. It hits home with most people. I want to deal with the global human experience. 


What does that mean exactly? 


Right now, I am working on something that incorporates men and women of all stages and walks of life, each with different backgrounds and emotional connections to their past. 


How will I connect to my audience? 

I plan to make this next project very universally personal by using many different subjects and topics; therefore, I will be able to reach people of all audiences. 

I'm excited to get working on what is to come and see how this piece is able to connect with each person individually. 

4 comments:

  1. I like how you're going to take ideas and almost conceal(?) them with abstraction. I also like how you're going to leave it to the viewer's own interpretation. It's interesting how you plan on creating art that is universally relatable to almost everyone and seeing how it affects them individually. When you say you want to incorporate culture/background/emotional connections/etc. in your artwork, do you mean this in a general sense, or in a more personal, up close kind of thing? And if it's the latter, then couldn't that potentially alienate some people who don't deal with the personal concepts that you reference to in your works?.. Or rather, how would you touch the people that don't closely relate to the concepts you reference to in your works? (Sorry that was a little redundant)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your feedback! and well... Mrs. Miller wanted me to answer the question of how this culture could influence my work/ make my work maybe pertain to that... but I see what you are saying. I think that in my upcoming piece, because of the multitude of perspectives that I want, it will be able to reach all kinds of audiences (not just the ones that go to Trinity and such...)
      Also, I do want to broaden my horizons- I want people of all age, race, background, and religion... etc. to be able to relate... so yes... in a general sense but also in the way that each person feels as if they are experiencing the piece in their own way..... If that makes sense? ... but yes.... you have challenged me and I will be thinking about this some more!

      Delete
  2. Let’s chat. Cite some other artist to keep expanding your references. Look at Art Story and who influenced Rothko. Also, check out Ann Hamilton, - you might find something interesting about her work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. for example:
    http://www.armoryonpark.org/programs_events/detail/ann_hamilton

    ReplyDelete