how to display your art.
How you display your art is very important in a show. You have to think about when you want it shown, where, how... do you want it by itself? Should it be closed off? Are there other pieces in the room?
For those of you who were a part of our critique the other day, we talked in great detail how it will be displayed. Y'all each gave me great ideas and helped paint the scene for when the show comes. I am excited to share it with everyone, but for those who haven't seen it and weren't a part of the discussion... I don't want to give too much away.
When thinking about how to display my art, there was a lot to consider. After bringing in all of the elements (time, color scheme, warmth of the space - or lack thereof, size, proximity to other pieces...) I feel like we have a pretty developed picture of how to effectively portray the feelings that go along with it. I am excited to see how people react to it and potentially record those reactions.
Question...
How would y'all feel if I had a camera (kind of hidden) to record your reaction? Or would that seem like an invasion of privacy? On the flip of that, what if I had everyone write down their feelings after they listen to it? Maybe I could place a stack of notecards or sticky notes in there so that they could record how they feel on their own. I think I like that rather than videoing them because then they can respond in their own way. This piece could potentially bring up something that struck them from their past. It could be a very emotional response for some and not so much for others... I just want to be able to capture their responses in some way. I like the idea though of letting them record it themselves.
What do you think?
obviously not exactly what I want (really not at all) but I wanted to include a visual of the idea of looking into the space in which you art is placed ....

Very good questions and discussion with yourself. Because your work is performance oriented, these issues must be addressed. Feedback people...where are you? I like the idea of the sticky notes. You need to look into the legal issues of videoing without permission:) Let’s chat about this!
ReplyDelete