Sunday, April 10, 2016

projections...

Josiah McElheny

This artist is really interesting. He "explores the relationship between abstraction and the body as he makes Projection Painting 1 (2015)."  I would like to use this idea of projection in my next project. 

In my next project, I would like to use a projection of words. I was going to have a subject (probably a guy) write down a few things that they think about themselves- or things that have been said to them- (maybe both bad and good... we will see) and then have them stand against a white wall wearing a white shirt and project these things onto them. I want people at the gallery to be able to look at them and truly see their pain and see what has been said about them. I think this could be a very powerful piece to use along with my others. 

However... after doing a critique on this piece, it seems that this may be a complicated idea. We thought about maybe videoing this to make it less awkward for the subject and then projecting the video at the show, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having one auditory, one visual, and this one (physical) pieces of work. We also explored the idea of maybe having the audience write what they think... but if they don't know the person, then it would just be all about appearance. Or we thought about having pre-cut words out for people to place on the projector... We also talked about having pre-cut words or something and having the audience go up to the wall and take a picture of the word on them... but I don't really know about that. 

 I'm not really sure where this will end up going, but I still would like to use this idea somehow. I'm still thinking, and I am gonna keep exploring different options. 

Please let me know what y'all think! 

Citation : 
http://www.art21.org/artists/josiah-mcelheny/videos?order=field_video_duration&sort=asc

No comments:

Post a Comment