Tuesday, April 26, 2016

finishing up the year...

At the beginning of the year, I talked about what I have done in the past. Last year, I discovered that I love to make installations for my art pieces. With the dolls that I did, I was really stepping out into a new area of study while also discovering my love for using emotions and contemplative subjects. 
see my first blog

Last year, with my installations, I wanted to provoke the audience in thinking about how they relate to each piece. Now, I am putting a more heightened importance on the viewer because their participation is so integral in the whole process. 


Mrs. Miller and I had a good conversation about how you really can't make someone feel something. It just doesn't seem true to the art to try to make someone feel something, so with my work, I want to convey a sense of interest and wonder in the audience. I want them to think. I want it to mean something to them... whatever that may be. Maybe they relate to it because of their past... Maybe they relate to it because of something that they are going through now. Art through music, sound, voices, images, and videos... all of these things are one of the best mediums to get a message across. 
Shea Glover : one of my main inspirations in audience participation

One of my main purposes of the year and of this path that I am on is to experiment with different mediums to try to find the best vehicle to carry each message. 
My first and main piece of the year is an auditory piece that deals with hurtful words. Because this deals with the human voice and the listener can be alone to experience it, it is a very personal and emotional piece. Being alone... in an isolated room... heightens the viewer's emotions and allows them to experience every emotion that comes at them through these voices. 

one of my interests : how psychology plays into art

These are some questions that I consider when thinking about each project : 

What is my message? 

What is the most powerful way to communicate my message? 

Is it tactile, auditory, visual, etc.???

Is it crowd participation?? If so, how can I work with them and work for them?

I also have to think about activating the space around each piece in a way to convey a message and make the space have overall atmosphere that is necessary in order to evoke emotions. 
my blog : how to display your art

my previous blog : reflection on this year

Next Year 

I have been thinking about different types of installations and performance art.
Ann Hamilton : large installations with audience participation
Will I do pieces outside? Will I keep some inside? How can I incorporate the audience in different ways that will allow for a greater and more heightened sense of emotion? 

I am excited for the year to come so that I can experiment with more topics and different mediums of conveying my message!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to see what you do next year and see how you develop your artwork! I love what you work with and I can't wait for your solo show!! I respect so much that your artwork works with peoples emotions and even makes them reconsider their own actions and words.

    ReplyDelete